February 7, 2013
- The Startup PHL Seed Fund, a public/private venture fund to make seed-stage investments in Philadelphia-based tech startups. PIDC will seed the fund with $3m to be matched and managed by a private investment firm that will make investments on behalf of the fund. PIDC and the Department of Commerce plan to announce more details of the fund by the end of the first quarter.
- Startup PHL Call for Ideas, awarding a series of grants averaging $25,000 to creative citizen and non-profit driven ideas that improve and grow the startup and early-stage economy in Philadelphia.
The first Call for Ideas received an overwhelming response with almost 120 organizations and individuals submitting creative, innovative ideas for how to support and strengthen Philadelphia’s entrepreneurial community. The selection committee is currently evaluating the finalist’s ideas, and will announce the winners this month. The Call for Ideas finalists are below and complete descriptions of the ideas can be found at http://www.startupphl.com/blog.
Startup PHL anticipates future Calls for Ideas and encourages people and organizations to apply. Sign up for updates at www.startupphl.com or follow @startupphl on twitter for further updates, including what makes a successful application.
Top 20 Call for Idea Finalists
- Greater Philadelphia Alliance for Capital and Technologies (PACT) – The PACT Enterprise Hackathon
- Greater Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce – Entrepreneur’s Resource Directory
- Seed Philly – Startup Data Collection Engine
- Campus Philly and Ben Franklin Technology Partners of Southeastern Pennsylvania (BFTP/SEP) – Targeted Internship Matching Program
- RJ Moore, RJ Metrics – Entrepreneurship Podcast
- The Franklin Institute – STEM Opportunities at the 2013 Philadelphia Science Festival
- The Moore College of Art and Design – Women’s Creative Entrepreneurial Launch
- Slash 7 and Indy Hall – Philadelphia Bootstraper Conference: BaconBizConf
- GreenLight Fund, Scattergood Foundation, and Wharton Social Impact Initiative – Collaborative Work and Learning Space: The Exchange
- The Enterprise Center – Center for Culinary Enterprises Program
- Philly Tech Meetup – Program Expansion
- The University City Science Center – Formalize and Expand the Regional Affinity Incubation Network (RAIN)
- Venture F0rth – Program and Facility Expansion: VentureF0rth Commons
- Ben Franklin Technology Partners of Southeastern Pennsylvania (BFTP/SEP), Greater Philadelphia Alliance for Capital Technologies (PACT), Philly Startup Leaders – The Philadelphia Startup Information Web site
- Technically Philly, the Knight Foundation, Delaware Valley Grantmakers – Social Entrepreneurship Asset Map
- Philadelphia’s Coalition of Rising Education Leaders (PhillyCORE Leaders) – Education Entrepreneur Support and Pitch Night
- The Entrepreneurial Law Clinic at the Earle Mack School of Law at Drexel University – Open Source Legal Documents
- Advancena, LLC – Lean Start-ups for the Minority Community Program
- GoodCompany Group –Program Expansion
- Startup Corp – High School Entrepreneur Program